Friday, January 20, 2012

Salt and Light

Over the last week, I have read Matthew 5:13-16 about four times and in both languages. I have a Portuguese Bible that I use to expand my vocabulary as well as practice reading. Last semester in my small group we started studying the Sermon on the Mount and so I thought it would be a good section to study again and work with the translation. I read the passages in English, then in Portuguese and write down my new vocabulary words. I also receive daily devotionals in my email from Insight for Living by Charles Swindoll. I can not deny the repetition of this passage in the last week. I am called to be salt and light in this world, no matter where my location is. My prayer is that I may shine as God desires me to. I only aim to be a reflection of his glorious light. May nothing inside of me hinder the light.

Matthew 5:13-16
 13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
   14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.   

No comments:

Post a Comment