Friday, January 6, 2012

Roots and Wings

One of the last words that my mom said to me as I left the airport was that, as parents, their goal is to give their children roots and wings. I am thankful for the deep foundation I have developed growing up under the guidance of my parents and the encouragement that they gave me to pursue my dreams no matter where they led me. 

I feel as though this experience in Brazil is going to help me expand both my roots and wings. As I encounter the culture first hand, I believe that I will gain a greater understanding of my Brazilian heritage and a greater appreciation for my dad. My wings are sure to grow as well as I go through the many experiences that will come my way.

So far I have had a few encounters where my knowledge of Portuguese was put to the test. I know that I am still lacking a large amount in that area but I have been able to communicate when I need to so far which has been a bit comforting. I also have been recognized as Brazilian by some of the natives which has been a pleasant surprise for me. I look forward to the day when I am able to claim my Brazilian heritage because of my firsthand experiences and the knowledge of the language and culture that I gain rather than just because my dad is Brazilian.

No comments:

Post a Comment