Sunday, January 8, 2012

First weekend in Lavras

Yesterday and today were my first full days in Lavras. So far there have been both ups and downs. We have gone walking around the town both days which has been enjoyable. Yesterday we went to an indoor stadium where some guys were playing futsol (a type of indoor soccer). It was great to watch but also gave me a tremendous desire to play and made me realize that I am still more than a month away from running and a few months away from even starting to play :( I felt very torn as well because soccer has always been a way for me to connect with other people, especially those in different countries who may not speak English. I am always amazed at how the sport is able to cross language barriers. However, this too shall pass and I pray that God will help me develop patience during this time of waiting. 

It is also rainy season here so it rains or rather downpours just about everyday. Today we got caught in the rain a few times but it wasn't too bad since I was prepared with my guarda-chuva (umbrella). I also went to a catholic church service today with a couple of my roommates which was interesting. I was able to follow some of what was going on but they seemed to skip some parts of the program so I was lost during some of it as well. There is an evangelical church in town that I would like to go to but I have not found anyone willing to go with me. Hopefully I will gain the courage to go on my own if no one will come with me next weekend.

Each day we also went to get some acai, which is delicious! I prefer the place that we got it from today because the people there were very friendly and helped us learn Portuguese.  Their names were Amanda, Erica, and Joao Paulo. We spent quite a while talking with them back and forth learning many new words. I look forward to seeing them and conversing more with them as I learn the language. Tomorrow we start our formal Portuguese course which will consist of 5 weeks of 6 hours of Portuguese per day, 6 days a week. Each day we will have 3 hours of classroom work in the morning and then 3 hours of practical class around town. I am excited to start but I know that this will also be a draining process especially mentally. May God give me strength, an open and eager mind, and a joyful attitude as I begin the main reason for my being in Brazil.

Boa noite gente!     

1 comment:

  1. being able to play soccer and use it as a way to connect wouldve been too easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete